The funding is being provided as part of the Australian Heritage Grants 2020-21 grant opportunity.
The program will provide support to protect and promote the listed values of National Heritage List’ places through strengthened recognition, management, conservation and public engagement.
The intended outcomes of the program are:
- improved recognition, conservation and preservation of National Heritage List place values, and access to National Heritage listed places
- enriched appreciation of the values of listed National Heritage places through improved community engagement.
This project includes the development of a holistic and coordinated waste management and resource recovery strategy for K'gari (Fraser Island). The strategy will provide direction to ensure waste is managed in a sustainable way, minimising environmental impact and protecting natural assets of K'gari (Fraser Island).
The project will:
- Assess any risks associated with current waste management practices
- Identify strategic and operational shortfalls and set a clear vision for waste management on the island
- Outline objectives and identify outcomes and list key actions.
- Upon completion of the strategy, capital works identified will be scheduled for implementation.
Upon completion of this project, the K’gari (Fraser Island) Waste Management and Resource Recovery Strategy will provide clear direction to maintain and protect the National, World Heritage and cultural value of K’gari (Fraser Island) through coordinated and sustainable waste management practices.
The K’gari (Fraser Island) Waste Management and Resource Recovery Strategy will provide background information, identify the need for change and a vision for the future of waste management on the island.
Clear targets accompanied by key actions will provide a roadmap for achieving the following outcomes:
- Identification and development of suitable sites to replace the existing waste facilities at Orchid Beach and Happy Valley
- Upgrade of the existing waste facility at Eurong
- Implemented controls for legacy disposal issues
- The introduction of a recycling service for residents and businesses
- Improved recycling services for visitors to the island
- A program for the sustainable management of green waste
- The development of improved educational material and signage to support best practice waste management and promote protection of K'gari’s (FRaser Island's) natural values
- The development of a coordinated strategy will foster relationships and formulate a shared vision in coordination with the Butchulla people and in consultation with key stakeholders to prevent environmental harm and conserve the natural and cultural values of K'gari (Fraser Island).
Fraser Coast Waste Strategy 2019-2029
Fraser Coast Regional Council has recently developed the Fraser Coast Waste Strategy 2019-2029. The new strategy has a focus on resource leadership that delivers the greatest benefits to our local community in terms of resource recovery, reducing landfill, environmental amenity and economic development.
Community feedback was sought for the strategy. Council included community views on the six outcome areas (themes) in the document and key actions identified.
You can view the Council's Waste Management Strategy and more information here.